Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pepto Bismol

Warning: If you have an allergy to sulfonamides, you may not want to use Pepto Bismol. I continued to use Pepto even after my allergy progressed without any reactions to it. This past week, I had an upset stomach and took Pepto as I usually did. Well, I woke up at 4:00 am with a swollen throat and hives on my tongue. Since I ate something new at a restaurant, I felt that may have been the cause. I continued to feel ill so, I made a doctor's appointment. The day of my doctor's appointment, I woke up with a black film on my tongue. When I went to the doctor, he explained that now I am allergic to Pepto. Pepto doesn't actually have sulfonamides in it, but when it mixes with the natural sulfurs in our saliva, it forms Bismith Sulfate which was why my tongue and stool turned black.

5 comments:

Brandy said...

I have never had a tounge reaction, but my allergies are have gotten worse just recently. Are my stools dark black because I ate sulfites? Anyone know?

Wendy said...

I have not heard of that or seen it withinmyself, but you might want to get it checked out b/c it could be blood.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you people can actually help me. Over here, Qc., doctors do not have any actual accurate sulfite allergy test, therefore tells you it's a sulfite sensitivity, same as lactose and all you can do is to avoid it.

My first reaction was after drinking some wine, hives covering my upper body, asthma, and little things like that.

one year later, and I have heart palpitation, asthma, hives, feeling like fainting, sweating, nausea, and feeling like my throat is compressing just like my lungs.

When I take benadryl, it feels better. I already had a lactose problem that last a few months and it has nothing to do with the hell I'm living right now.

@Brandy: If you had something like maalox, it does make your stool very dark...

Anonymous said...

This same type of reaction is happening to me, took Pepto one night, tongue was black in the morning, the following afternoon I got a HORRIBLE rash covering me from head to toe (literally, it's on the palm of my hands and my scalp, too. It's been 5 days and the itchy rash is still going strong. What can I do to counteract the allergy symptoms other than wait it out? Normal things like Benadryl and topical hydrocortisone aren't working.

Wendy said...

@ Anonymous #1 (3/9/10) - Avoid any form of sulfonamides. Look at my links for help.

@ Anonymous #2 (9/9/12) - I had a similar reaction which wasn't linked to my sulfonamide allergy. I would take benedryl or use hydrocortisone cream and the second it would start to wear off, it was back FUILL force. I went to the dr and he checked me for an ulcer bc that can cause that type of a reaction but it was negative. Finally, my allergist put me on Zyrtec, Zygal, & Zantac and it went away and has not been back since. It took a few days to fully go away but it started to within 12 hrs.