Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Beware & Advocate for yourself ~ Anesthesiologist

We NEED to be our own advocate. I had to have a same day procedure done and spoke with the anesthesiologist about making sure there is NO FORM of sulfa, sulfates or sulfites in the medications. He brushed me off by saying, "Don't worry, I'll only give you a little at first." I tried to explain to him the seriousness of my allergy and he did not want to listen so, I cried and begged the nurse to help me and make sure that the meds given to me did NOT have ANY form of sulfonamides in it. The nurse agreed to help me. She got the dr., who was doing the procedure, and we talked and I cried, about the seriousness of my allergy and even the slightest bit could cause a reaction. She double checked the medication and even allowed me to double check the medication. That was VERY scary. If I did not know how to advocate for myself, a simple procedure could've become life threatening! I should also add that I had this procedure before and it was in my records that I had a different anesthesia. Speak up for yourself and others!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
You need to do a genome test and find out more of your genomic problems. Contact one of the doctors on www.mthfrsupport.com
I am 99% sure that will help you.
I am not affiliated with mthfrsupport.com
Take and good luck.