Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yankee Candles and sulfur???

I got home last night and my husband was in our living room with a Yankee Candle and the fireplace going. I stayed in the living room for about 2 hours before going to bed. When I went to bed my nose was SO stuffy I could barely breathe. Then, when I woke up in the morning, my eyes, tongue and throat had begun to swell and it was hard to swallow. So, I AGAIN ended up in the ER. I definately had ANOTHER allergic reaction, but to what?? Well, I did what I know I shouldn't do, I sat by the fire again today but, no candle. Good news, no reaction. I know that could have been a bad idea but, I had to find out what the issue was. So, I then called Yankee Candle to ask them if sulfur is part of their "fine ingredients" that they will NOT tell ANYONE and they told me that I HAVE to send them a letter from my doctor to verify my allergy before they will answer me. I will let you know, I wll NEVER buy Yankee Candles, will NOT accept them as a gift and encourage others to buy their products b/c they OBVIOUSLY DO NOT care about their customers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really need to go to a doctor of functional or integrative medicine and get a complete GI panel. Sulfur is ubiquitous in your body and necessary for human life. It's likely that something else is going on, such as the presence of sulfur-reducing bacteria in your digestive tract. Sulfur is generally a good thing, and without it you would not be able to survive. Many allergies are conditional. Work with the right doctor and you might find a way to live your life without such anxiety over everyday allergens.

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to sulfites and have the same reaction to alot of candles, especially if they are scented. I've never been able to find out if they have sulfites in them though. It's the same way with plug-in air fresheners. I've found that soy based candles don't bother me at all.

Anonymous said...

i also suffer from sulfite and chemical allergies, i use SWAN CREEK SOY CANDLES ONLY.only use the ones that smell like bakery items. do not use the ones that smell like flowers. they also say that it's the parrafin wax in regular candles that causes a reaction.you can get swan creek candles online, or at alot of the primitive country stores. some "no name brand" soy candles bother me also, i have NEVER had a problem with SWAN CREEK.

Key N. said...

For the last 4 days I've been suffering from an allergic reaction to a Yankee Candle. The other one I bought doesn't make me feel bad but the Black Cherry had me hyperventilating last night. My eyes were puffy, my throat closed, a rash had formed and I couldn't breathe. I ended up passing out. I woke up and took myself to the doctor. They gave me a steroid shot and I'll be on steroid pills for the next week. I really need to know what is in that particular candle.

Key N. said...

Oh, the doctor said the inside of my ears are reacting to the candle as well. It seems there's a chemical reaction going on in my ears so we'll see what they say tomorrow.

Wendy said...

fbliss6 - I am SO sorry that happened to you. That is horrible. I hope you are able to get some answers.

I found out that they had sulfur in their cadles bc I looked up the MSDS form. It doesn't say all of the ingredients but some of them. But you can also send Yankee Candle a doctor's note and they have to try to work with you. If they don't go up the chain as far as you have to go to get your answer.

Anonymous said...

I know this is from years ago. but I too almost died from yankee candles! I actually bought one because I was tired of burning oils at night. I burned them lavender candle cause that's the same fragrance of oil I normally burn during sleep and I woke up looking like a monster! my hands, feet and face were swollen!!! my eyes were swollen shut as well. I normally do not wash my face before bed however, that night I just happen to shave and ended up washing my face which I think opened my pores. I will be calling yankee candle to find out some answers!!! my doctor said I could have died in my sleep!